29 Sep 2011 6 Comments
Autumn is upon us, which means shorter days, cold nights and the need for classic comfort food. I had a hankering for pudding one evening and so I came up with this simple dessert. I make batches of barley and I’m always looking for new ways to use it. This is my spin on traditional rice pudding – straight-forward and healthy!
I’ve also tried this with brown rice and it worked quite well but I like the chewiness of barley. I bet lots of other wholegrains would work too if you’d like to share any suggestions in the comments section!
Cinnamon Barley Pudding
Serves 2. Preparation time 5 minutes plus about 30 minutes baking time. Approx 250 calories per serving.
- 1 cup of pearl barley (cooked)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Half a cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius. Spray two ramekins with oil and place on a baking tray.
- Divide the barley between the two ramekins.
- Mix together the rest of the ingredients – egg, milk, vanilla, sugar and cinnamon. Once thoroughly combined, pour half of the mixture into each ramekin over the barley.
- Bake for around 30 minutes or until the pudding is set (give the tray a little shake – if the pudding wobbles give it a couple more minutes).
Do you ever cook with barley? Have you tried using it in a dessert? What are your favourite wholegrains?
Something to Chew Over – everyday food, just a little bit special!
6 Responses (+add yours?)
Leave a Reply