19 Sep 2011 4 Comments
Remember my cinnamon coconut bites? Well these are a cinnamon-free version topped with dark chocolate, tailored to the specific request of my boyfriend for ‘something coconuty without cinnamon and with chocolate’. Happy to oblige!
Again these are really simple to make and take no time at all to prepare. Perfect served with a cup of tea!
Chocolate Coconut Bites
Yields around 15 bites (some of mine were demolished before I had a chance to put chocolate on them!). Preparation time 30 minutes plus cooling time.
- 100g desiccated coconut
- 75g caster sugar
- 1 egg white, beaten
- around 30g dark chocolate (doesn’t have to be exactly 30g)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. Line a baking tray with a silicone liner or parchment paper.
- Mix coconut and sugar together in a large bowl. Add egg white and stir to combine.
- Using damp hands, shape the mixture into around 15 walnut-sized pieces and place on lined baking tray. I put a bowl of water beside me to dip my hands into to keep them damp.
- Bake for 7 minutes, turn very gently and bake for another 7 minutes or until browned and firm.
- Allow to cool on a wire tray – they will get much firmer as they cool so handle them carefully at this stage while they’re still fragile.
- Once the bites are cool (at least 30 minutes), melt the chocolate in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Gently dip each bite into the melted chocolate to cover the top. Allow the chocolate to harden and then dig in! (No judgement if you can’t wait)
Any fans of coconut out there? How do you enjoy it most? Do you prefer baking sweet treats like this or cooking something savoury?
Something to Chew Over – everyday food, just a little bit special!
4 Responses (+add yours?)
Leave a Reply